India has announced that it signed the following Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) with foreign countries during the last two years for the development of ports and manufacture of ships in the country.
Specifically, a Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of the Republic of India and the Islamic Republic of Iran over partnership of India in development plan of Chabahar Port, signed on 06 May, 2015.
Furthermore, a Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Shipping of the Republic of India and the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries of the Republic of Korea on Cooperation in the fields of Maritime Transport and Logistics, signed on 18 May, 2015. Scope of cooperation under the MoU, inter-alia, includes utilization, development and management of domestic and overseas ports.
Also, an agreement between the Government of the Republic of India and the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan on Maritime Transport, singed on 11 October, 2015. Areas for development and cooperation under the Agreement, inter-alia, includes ship building.
The Ministry of Shipping of the Republic of India further signed an agreement with the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries of the Republic of Korea on Cooperation in Port Related Industry, on 13 April, 2016.
On 05 July, 2016 another Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Shipping of the Republic of India and the Ministry of Public Works and Transport of the Kingdom of Spain on Cooperation in Port Matters was signed.
Moreover, the Cochin Shipyard Limited, Kochi has entered into the following Agreements/MoU with foreign companies for development of shipbuilding sector:
▪ Technical Collaboration for developing the design for a Trailer Suction Hopper Dredger with M/s C-Job & Partners BV, Netherlands, signed on 19 July, 2014.
▪ Memorandum of Understanding for Design for construction of Anti Submarine Warfare shallow water crafts for Indian Navy with M/s Alion, United State of America, signed on 11 August, 2014.
▪ Memorandum of Understanding for construction of Dredgers with M/s IHC, Holland, signed on 09 February, 2015.
▪ Technical Service Agreement for construction of LNG Carriers for M/s Gas Authority of India with M/s Samsung Heavy Industries, South Korea, signed in March, 2015.
▪ Memorandum of Understanding for service Ballast Water Treatment Plants with M/s TechCross, South Korea, signed on 04 November, 2015.
▪ License agreement with M/s GTT France for building Liquefied Natural Gas ships for using their patented Mark-III Technology, exchanged on 02 December, 2015.
Source : Ministry of Shipping
Thank you & Best Regards,
Eng. Dimitrios Nikolaos Spanos
Lead Maritime Auditor / Principal Surveyor
Member of IRCA, IIMS, ELINT, HELMEPA & Nautical Institute